Are you ready for Christmas? There are two things that you need to do in the next day or two to get ready. Clean out your fridge and go to confession. At first glance you might think these two things have NOTHING to do with each other, but they are remarkably similar.
Refrigerator – Jesus
- You really don’t want to clean out the fridge. I mean there are soooo many other things to do in the next few days. Ditto for making the time to get to confession.
- The big day is coming, you are looking forward to lots of amazing food. The big day is coming you are looking forward to the gift of Jesus!
- You need to hit the grocery for supplies. You need to go to church to prepare.
- You think – I cleaned it out/ went to confession a while ago. I don’t need to do it again. But, something stinks in there…
- You don’t want to put all that yummy new food in the fridge the way it stands now. Your soul is filthy as well!
- You probably don’t even have room for the casseroles and treats. If you haven’t been to confession recently, do you have space in your heart cleaned out for Jesus.
- It really doesn’t take that long.
- It feels SO good when you get it done! And that feeling lasts for a while – until you junk it up again.
Here’s how to clean out the fridge and do an examination of conscience:
- With an empty garbage can ready, open the fridge. With a piece of paper if necessary, look within your heart.
- Start tossing the easy stuff first. Start a list of the “easy” confessions.
- Dig deeper – How would you feel if your parents saw the back of your fridge? How would you feel if God saw into your soul? (Hint the first is unlikely but the latter is happening all the time.)
- Go where you don’t want to reach. What is hiding in the corners? What has been in there for far too long? What did you add to this space that is cluttering it up and taking away from the goals you have? Get it out or write it down.
- Take out the trash. Bring your confessions to the priest.
- Wipe it all down and make it shiny and new. Either literally in your fridge or by doing your penance.
- Bask in the glow of a job well done! (Okay, now close the fridge – you are wasting electricity.)
If you haven’t been to confession/reconcilliation for a long time, I personally invite you to any Catholic church to celebrate the great opportunity of the sacrament of reconcilliation. I have attached this easy examination of conscience to save you a step if you aren’t sure where to start. Lots of churches offer extra times and even group style confessions this time of year. Google or call your local church for more info.
An AMAZINGLY SIMPLE way to clear your fridge and mind!